Monday, August 12, 2013

I think my adversary's lawyer knew he was in for a long day from the get go. The court stenographer had to swear me in, and this is what happened:

Court Stenographer (CS): Do you swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
Me: To the best of my ability.
Adversary Lawyer (AL): You must answer yes or no.
CS: I need a 'yes' or 'no'
Me: Well, that's where I have a problem, because 'truth' is based upon perception. For me to say that I will tell the 'whole truth' already starts me off with a lie, thus nullifying me telling the truth. Will you allow me to explain something to you?
AL: Sure.
Me: Do you remember the NASA shuttle explosion, and that woman Christa McAuliffe who was a teacher? I remember that day clearly. I was in my 8th grade English class watching it with my classmates. I remember it exactly. It took place in 1985. I was in the 8th grade. Recently, though, I had a discussion with a friend of mine that swore the accident took place in 1986. I vehemently disagreed. So, we looked it up. My friend was correct. It happened in January of 1986, which placed me in the 9th grade, and probably not in an English class. If today, the deposition happened before I re-looked up that information, and I claimed that the NASA explosion happened in 1985, it would not be the truth, nor the whole truth. It would be a false memory that was incorrect, thus, untrue.

Um...This is how the deposition started. Eventually, I said, "alright, alright I'll play this silly game with you, but I'm not swearing to God about it." So, they affirmed my duty to tell the truth.

Lawyers are all about the law and the words; poets are all about the words and the wording of words. Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment