Monday, July 14, 2014

Transatlantic Poem: Amsterdam, 2014

Note: Concept is simple. I write a poem in English, then I translate it to one or more languages, then I translate the translation back to English. I will first give you the original verses, then the translation. Because I was in Amsterdam when I wrote the majority of this poem, I go from English-Dutch-English in the translation. Enjoy!


Transatlantic: Amsterdam, 2014

I.
and so it follows, I am the greater part
of all the sadness that proceeded

yet tonight reminds me about the things that are not
not at peace, not balanced, not present

II.
undesirable. not a criticism. a reflection.
three children, three women
three mothers, one sad man

undesirable. i miss long night love. the consistency of it.
the comfortable, unfamiliar
scent of skin embroidered on my skin.

my mother doesn’t know me
i travel to europe
my mother worries about me
i travel to amsterdam
my mother loves me
i remain true to my guiding principle:
        remain true to yourself


III.
wherever i go, there i am
i am wherever i am, wherever i go



4/12/2014,7/6/2014

Transatlantic: Amsterdam, 2014: English to Dutch to English

I.
and so it follows, I am most of all the sadness that went tonight
makes me think about the things that are not
not on peace, not in balance, not present


II.
unwanted. not a criticism. a reflection.
three children, three women
three mothers, a sad man junk.
I miss the long night love. the consistency of the.
the comfortable, unknown smell of skin embroidered on my skin.
my mother did not know me
I travel to Europe
I trip to amsterdam
I am my mother my mother loves me
I stay true to my guiding principle: staying true to yourself


III.
wherever I go, there I am I am where I am, where I'm going


Translation: 7/12/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment