Friday, August 24, 2007

Understanding

My friend was telling me why she became a dancer. She has a lot of pride in doing her job well. She used to be a teacher, but didn't find passion in that field. She didn't make enough people feel better. As a dancer, she loves making men, from all walks of life, feel better. And though it's temporary, it's real. They feel better. It's not for me -- frequenting strip clubs or dancing myself, but I understand my friend. I understand the need to make people feel better.

I met this woman in a bar the other night. She was 38, but looked no older than 23, maybe 25, if you pushed it. She was proud of her two children. She was married, and would freely talk about her husband. Yet, the stench of loneliness permeated her laughter. She clung to any attention that men would give her. And though she was very attractive, I wasn't in the mood to speak much that night. She bored with me quickly, (as perhaps I did with her), and she moved on to some other familiar face at the bar. I understand that loneliness. I know it too well.

My sister Joy was telling me about the controversy over that new film, Knocked Up. Appearantly, the liberal media (i.e., NY Times and the Politico) is offended that the movie doesn't mention the word 'abortion', but rather scurries around the word. In addition, they seem to be offended that the main character decides to keep the child and not have an abortion. Why is this CHOICE offensive? Is not the voice of the Pro-choice about choice, even if that choice means keeping the child? I mostly rant against conservatives, but I was speechless that liberals borrowed the tactics of their political enemies by turning fiction into friggin' reality! Knocked Up is a comedy, not a weapon of mass debate. Do you know why the movie skirts around using the word abortion? Because it's a reflection of our society! We skirt around using the word ABORTION! I understand little of this debate.

Last night I was telling this woman at the front desk of my hotel that I am an actor. She said, "I was going to be an actor once, but I decided to change my mind." I scoffed. It dawned on me. We artists don't choose our art; it is our art who chooses us. I can no more change my call to acting than I can change the essence of Michael Fowlin. I understood little of what she had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment