Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thankfulness, Part Four



Part Four

Installment Four regarding: Thanks and Acknowledgement for all who have shaped me into me, the great and small carving. Each of you have done your part. As I've stated previously, this is a randomized, self-project that is NOT meant as an indication of favoritism nor preference. All of you matter to me. I have thousands of people who have left their mark on me. This is a celebration of the many I can recall. It will take me years to approach completion of this project, but I know it can never be completed.

Today’s theme is called: In Other Words…

John Morello, perhaps it's best to say all I have to say (for the time being) with the following:

Jesus Christ is dying on the cross, his disciples are gathered around, crying. Peter looks up and notices that Jesus seems to be calling him, "Peter, Peter, come hither! I need to tell you something before I die." Immediately Peter rushes over to the cross, only to be hit severely over the head by the roman guard. He gets on his feet again and wants to return to the other disciples when he hears Jesus calling again, "Peter, Peter, come hither! I’m dying and I need to tell you something." So, again Peter tries to climb the cross to get to his lord, when the roman soldier draws his sword and chops Peter's arm off, and throws him back into the crowd. Once again, Jesus calls him, and Peter rushes to see Jesus. The Roman guard can't believe that Peter is trying yet AGAIN to climb to the cross, and chops off another arm. Peter is now covered in blood and demented from the blow to the head and wants to call it a day. Jesus croaks, "Peter, please, come to me! I’m not going to make it much longer." By now, the roman guard is tired of chopping limbs, so he lets Peter be. The faithful disciple gets to the cross and after a long while he finally arrives at his Lord's side. Hurting, suffering, bleeding, Peter looks into his Master's eyes and asks, "Yes, my Lord. What is it?" Jesus smiles lovingly, looking off into the distance, and says, "Peter, I can see your house from here!"

I think that joke accurately describes our relationship, and who we are on this planet. For in that joke, we have irreverence, religion, pain, loyalty, the dying, sacrifice, and observational perspective. But above all else, my brother, we have always been able to make each other laugh. You are my soul. I am grateful for this.

Melissa Kaye, recently, I saw, again, the updated version of 47 Ronin, starring Keanu Reeves, who plays the half-breed, Kai. There's this moving (albeit somewhat cheesy) scene between Keanu and the beautiful, Ko Shibasaki, who plays Mika. Here are the lines that follow:

Mika -- My father told me, this world was only a preparation for the next. That all we can ask is that we leave it having loved and being loved.
Kai -- I will search for you through a thousand worlds and ten thousand lifetimes, until I find you.
Mika -- I will wait for you in all of them.

Our connection, our friendship, our mutual love for each other is cherished and beyond full comprehension in this lifetime. We have often said to each other, "In another world...in another lifetime...". I think about that, and feel honored that the depth of our endearment has never been limited to time, form, or space. I am certain that we have found each other again, (this was not the first lifetime), and I am certain that we will find each other in all the worlds that follow. But in the next lifetime or the time after, I will need more proof before bestowing you with the proclamation: Good Kisser.

Judith Springer, years ago I took this course at the the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology (GSAPP). It was called, Adolescent Theory and Therapy. It was taught by you, and at the time, it was the perfect course for me, as my interests in the adolescent population were strong. All the students involved in the class were required to present on a topic. I chose adolescent sexuality.

At the beginning of my presentation, I did a 15-20 minute, multiple character, one man show. After I caught the attention of my fellow classmates, I went on to present the academic portion of the class requirement. I have little memory as to what I presented, with the exception that I handed out an article that contained the most salacious, academic title I've ever seen. The title of the article was: Putting a Big Thing into a Little Hole: Teenage Girls' Accounts of Sexual Initiation.

The summer after that class, you asked me if I had any interest in participating in a diversity summer camp for teens called Anytown. I gladly accepted. At that time, no one knew the power and transcendence that camp would have on this world. It was at this camp that I started performing what would become a integral part of my legacy. You gave me the opportunity to become part of that movement. I would not be in the position I am in today, touching lives, had it not been for you.

You are the quiet, loving, wise mother who has embraced so many of us orphans. Sometimes I wonder if the rest of the world knows that so many of us would not be who we are without your whispering strength.

There is a scene in the movie, Cloud Atlas, where this father-in-law is trying to control his son-in-law, threatening him to do what is expected, and not to branch away from the 'family plan'.

Father-in-law: Listen to me...there's a natural order to this world, and those who try to upend it, do not fair well. This movement will never survive. If you join them, you and your entire family will be shunned. At best, you will exist as pariah to be spat on and beaten; at worst, lynched or crucified. And for what? No matter you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean.

Son-in-law: What is an ocean? But a multitude of drops.

I, and we, who have been touched by you, Judith, are the multitude of drops from your singular voice and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment