Monday, August 18, 2014

Thankful Project



Writing Project, Part One

I make no commitments for how long I will carry out this next endeavor, but I was thinking about funerals, and how, regardless who the person was on earth, they are endorsed with wondrous accolades when they die. I always think that it is somewhat a wasted venture, used only to make the living feel better. I am going to change this. I am thinking about some of my friends and the marks they have left on my life. I want to thank them now, while they are alive. Obviously, this will be an ongoing process, because I have a plethora of friends and acquaintances. There is no particular order for those I choose. I am just thinking about them right now, so why wait?

Amy Snyder, once, while I was on a phone call, I described you as an ex-girlfriend. You overheard this. When I got off the phone you asked me why I chose the word "ex". I stumbled, mumbled, and then said, "Well, what other word could I use?" You said, "You could say, 'former girlfriend'." So, I thank you, Amy, for teaching me that a shift in a relationship does not forgo kindness in our speech or actions; for shining a piece of God that is more real than mumble jumble from a pulpit. I have never forgotten this beautiful lesson.

Charlie Thiel, 21 years ago when I wanted to end my life, dealing with the painful reality of previous pain, you said three things to me: 1. I love you. 2. God loves you. 3. The pain you feel now, God will not only heal you, but God will use your pain to help others heal.
Some people believe that prophets are archaic. Some people believe that God is dead or does not exist. Well, to those people, I say, I have seen prophets, and I would not be alive if God did not speak through you.

Brittany Taylor, you are that voice that has accepted my crazy, as you accept your own. You scare me. You normalize my displacement on this planet, and take me down a few pegs when necessary. I get you, as you get me. Thank you for making me feel slightly less alone. So, I send this toast to you for being beautifully (un)normal.

Connor Wellington, when you shared your pain with me I thought that I was there to help you. Little did I know that you were there to help me, too. It's been a while that I shared a beautiful moment of crying and healing with another person. Be encouraged, the love you seek will find you because you are an amazing human being. Thank you for reminding me that we help others when we allow them to help us.

Alan Wiesenfeld, during graduate school, you said to me, "Your writing is atrocious." However, your words did not stop there. You followed this stinging sentiment with, "I will help you become a good writer." Thank you. You taught me that criticizing the world is easy, but the true movers and shakers are the ones who see what's wrong and do their part in fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment