Sunday, March 9, 2008

I've never quite cared for fashion, and style is in the eye of the beholder. I like how certain colors (like black) look on me. I've never been hip to all the changes in fashion. Don't get me wrong, I can dress very well, very cool, if I actually give a damn about what is labeled, "hip" or "cool". Usually, I just don't care. And I'm not trying to be a rebel, I just be who I be, and throughout my life that has been labeled everything from devil worshiper to freak to "what the hell?" to "turn down those colors!"

What's a guy supposed to do? There have been times when I have gotten in trouble for my dress assembly. I went through a phase in college where I was really into collecting knives, mainly hunting knives. Now, I've never hunted a day in my life, and personally, I don't care for the activity. My interest in hunting knives was an interest in knives, not hunting.

I purchased this very cool knife one time at this midwestern fair. I still have it today. It is this amazing, Texas toothpick, hunting knife. It's so rad. I love it. In any case, one day I was getting dressed at college, and I thought of the coolest idea. I would wear my camouflage, army pants, black boots, black t-shirt, and my knife, locked and loaded, attached to my boot. It looked so badass.

As I've mentioned in previous writings, I attended a conservative, evangelical Christian college. And it probably goes without saying, but dressing in that style and going to morning, religious services did not show a great deal of prudence on my part; although, I never thought it would cause the stir it caused. I was pulled aside by the campus police, because someone called me in, stating that my dress was very threatening, and that they were worried that I may do harm to someone.

Are you f'n kidding me? I'll tell you what, after being pulled aside like that, I most certainly wanted to do harm to someone.

Well, eventually, my camouflage clothing days faded away, and I moved on to other fashion styles, and some of them people actually liked.

Now, jump ahead with me. A couple of months ago, I was getting my daughter dressed for the day. I picked out a shirt and pants that looked good together. My daughter, with eyebrows raised, was incredulous. She said, "Daddy, that doesn't even match! Let me do it."

My daughter is three. . . .

Some things never change.

8 comments:

  1. hi dr.mykee(if i can call u that)....i just wanted to tell u tht after your performance in my school i actually became friends with people who i hated and who hated me...you are AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fashion is overrated. I agree with the whole 'be yourself' idea, that's what I do. Also, I'd like to thank you so much for coming back to my school again this year. The changes you made wouldn't be as obvious in a larger school, but here theystand out...a lot. I've actually become friends with some people who couldn't stand the thought of having a 'bi' friend. It's actually really cool because this being my senior year, I feel more connected to my class than I ever have. Thanks again, and let me know if/when you're coming back to Upper Moreland High School next year. I'll make a point to come visit. Oh! I hope you enjoy the poem...let me know what you think of it! (I emailed it to you...A Face, What is a Face?) TTYL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. helo Dr.Mykee. You were at my school today and i just wanted to tell you that i LOVED your performance! what you said was amazing! you opened my eyes to a whole other side of people, a side that is deep no matter where they come from! and liked how u didn't focus on the steriotypical (i probably spelled that wrong) "enimy" or persicuted people! i loved the oyster! your show really showed me that no matter what happens that i am special and that i am important! i think i have written too much as it is so i will stop there! I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie (Mr Fishook) ThielOctober 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM

    Mykee,

    I willingly ask my daughter, who is 15, to help pick out my clothes. I need all the help I can get in that department!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dr.Mykee. You were at my school a few days ago and your show really made me think. It reminded me that everyone deserves a chance, and that everyone is beautiful. Your show really touched my heart. You did a great job and i really hope i get to see you perform again. You are helping so many teens. Your show opened many minds and hearts in my school. Thank you so much for coming. I love you and you are beautiful (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi dr. mykee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you were at grice today... your show was really great... mrs.arruzo told us we'd end up crying and we did.... i was in the second row so you probably saw kayla next to me... she was crying like crazy and i cryed a little bit too and jst as we were leaving the audortorium mary started crying... i was the one who asked you what the name of the poem was and i found it online and i found the article for the jumpers too..... and after the assembly everyone in the hall was telling everyone that they were beautiful... but it got a little aqward....anyway your assembly really helped me rethink myself... thank u sooooooooo much..!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi mykee,
    well, i completely agree with this blog/article or whatever its called. You are amazing, and you probably know that. You most likely don't remember me. But i cried in your arms and told you how i didn't feel "skinny enough". You helped me for a little while and i didn't want to make myself throw up anymore. I also have told my best guy friend about this. There's one problem though, I attempted to..but I didn't follow through. Nothing happend. I sat at the toilet getting ready to shove my fingers down my throat, but didn't. The only thing that stopped me, was my best guy friend. I promised him I wouldn't do it; And if I did, he would tell someone. He promised he wouldn't tell anyone about how i want to do this, only if I didn't do it. But I haven't told him I've attempted to.

    I only can talk to him online, and it's a complicated story why that is...
    Now his internet is shut off, and I have no one to talk to. A few close friends know about it also, but it's so complicated; I'm to the point where I want to do nothing but cry.
    I need you're help..somehow.

    I know this doesn't really "relate" to clothes or this blog..but it's the only way I could figure out how to tell you.

    I'm asking you to be my friend, help me.
    I'm just a kid, :|

    -Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr. Mykke-

    You are like officially my hero. You performed at my school today and those kids in their wer probaly some of the most misbehaved kids you will ever met, except did you notive that no one was talking? EVERYONE was listening closely to every word that you said and i was right with them. You have given me a new prospective on life and how i can make anyhting good even if it seems liek the worst thing in the world. I think that after today our school has changed and it is all thanks to you. I LOVE YOU and your work. I think you are a genius and I was wondering if u could video tape your speech and post it up for me to watch and show everyone where i got my changed view of life from.

    ReplyDelete