Sunday, March 12, 2006

Yesterday, I was in Barnes and Noble buying books, one of my multi-addictions. One of the books I picked up was Post Secret. I mentioned this in a past blog. The idea was simple: Send in an anonymous postcard with a true secret that you've never shared. This project started as an art project, but grew into a national fascination. The book is a compilation of many of the postcards Frank Warren received.


I am so drawn to this book, in all of its realness and sadness. The book is brilliant in its revelation of our human condition. The secrets people keep out of fear, out of pain, is outstanding and familiar. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of postcards that bring about a smile or a big laugh. We are sneaky people, hiding what we can, when we can.


Here is a sampling of some of the revelations:


"I wish I would have spent more time with him . . . When he remembered my name."


"I still believe my childhood bear is real. I am in college. I still talk to her . . . . When no one is in the room."


"I tell people I'm an atheist, but I believe I'm going to hell."


"Since September 11, 2001, everyone I've ever known thinks that I am dead."


So, there it is. What anonymous postcard would you write? What would I write? Why are we so afraid? We are so afraid, and I'm tired of living in fear, of clinging to whatever comforts.


Find laughter today, my friends and release that which holds you back. I encourage you to get this book. It may release your spirit a little bit.

Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment