Saturday, March 15, 2014

If there were no children only adults...

In my elementary show, (a show I perform with the lovely, Tania Alexandra), I have a section where I propose a question to the 3-6 grade students: "What would the world look like if there were no children, only adults?" I am stuck. Beyond giving nonsense answers such as: "There would be no video games," "People wouldn't pick their noses and fling it onto others," "It would be boring because adults would watch Oprah Winfrey all day long," I find myself stuck in truthfully answering the question what pragmatic use are children, specifically the little ones.

I know on the surface, this may sound awful, but my question comes from a place of curiosity, not disdain. I find that most people are taught what to think, what to eat, what to believe, and (sadly) what to say and feel. I try to be true to myself, but it doesn't always work out.

I'll give you a ready example. This morning, while on an elevator with another man, I struck up a quick conversation with him, asking him how his day was going thus far. He replied, "Good! I just got married last night." I immediately blurted out, "Congratulations!" I had the biggest (and most inauthentic) grin spreading across my face. I felt nothing of a congratulatory nature, but I said what I said because I've been raised to do the "supposed to do" thing, as opposed to saying what I "need" to say.

I struggle with this. So I ask your help, my friends, answer the question from your perspective, "If there were no children, only adults, what would the world look like?"

No comments:

Post a Comment