Saturday, December 22, 2012

Poem -- Newtown, Connecticut



Newtown Connecticut

“Six minutes, six minutes, six minutes Doug E Fresh you’re on.”
I used to believe that six minutes happened so quick
Like whatever was done could be unfixed
a trick, a smile, some clever lie
all can be unhinged, you’d be surprised.
But in Newtown I realized
I was the lie
We were all undone in a click-click-click
 not so slick
 in that six-sick-shtick
now we are scarred by the images
scared of our image
we are primal in our damage,
angels turned to savages.

I want to understand this,
comprehend the pain
but we are left with remains
of shattered dreams and brains
this alongside of my caged-in rage
thump thump pumping, keeping me awake at night
my powerful words were powerless,
raped by shadows and fright
I remained paralyzed through the night
I was helpless and dangerous
I couldn’t trust this
sadness, like rolled up flesh, balled in my fists

The Mayan calendar was off a bit
overpredicting how long we would exist
Our innocence was murdered on that Friday morn
now we mourn
 for every child to be born
we are zombies at the carnival
clowns in the cemetery
hit the switch so we can end this song
Six minutes, six minutes, six minutes Doug E Fresh
they’re gone.

12/16-22/2012
msf

No comments:

Post a Comment