Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fighting In The Pizza Parlor

WARNING!!

This video is very upsetting. My friend turned it on to me, and I was left extremely troubled and saddened. If you get a chance to look it up on YouTube, please look at the comments that follow this video. I am not sure what disappoints me more: the obvious barbarism of the video, the sadness of our inhumanity towards one another, the zebra mentality of onlookers, or some of the comments I read below the video based on fear and ignorance. I am disgusted by the actions of the two violent individuals in the video, not only as a black man, bat as a citizen of humanity. The perpetrators' reactions are despicable, in spite of race, but no more so than the comments of hatred and nescience that I read following the video.

We have such a long way to grow. We are still infants in our existence. I am bent by it all; and yet, I am not broken. I am hope, and I have hope. I would love to read your comments and reactions, my friends.

3 comments:

  1. I found your site because you are going to be speaking at my son's school next week.

    I agree with you that this video was very disturbing. First of all, the guy on the cell phone shouldn't have spoken so loudly. One, it was dumb (look what happened), two it was somewhat cowardly in that if he had a problem with woman he should have addressed it to her.

    I won't even address the actions of the woman and her boyfriend as they were obviously heinous.

    In terms of the "zebra mentality of the onlookers", it's pretty simple: fear. They didn't want to get involved. How did they know the boyfriend didn't have a few friends outside, just like the boyfriend was outside before? They were petrified by fear.

    In terms of the commentary on YouTube...I agree that it is deplorable.

    All that said, as a white guy who grew up in a mixed neighborhood and was bullied by black guys much bigger than me, I can understand 1) the fear of the onlookers, and 2) the anger and fear that comes through in the commentary on YouTube (but I would have left out the racist language).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clicked on some of the more terrible comments on the video and was horrified by how many of them were Klansmen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After watching this on Youtube, I looked at some of the comments, and some of them are racist, really rude, or just down right disgusting. I don't understand why people do this to each other, or why they write this kind of stuff. It's really sad.

    ReplyDelete