Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Raising Saskia

I am raising my daughter to be the best
I am raising my daughter to be a feminist
to reject the masculine standard of normal
to resist referencing
a group of girls as "you guys"
I want her to break the trend
by naming her daughter after her name
and not some man's . . .
to keep her last name
or to throw it out and start all over
to see God's breasts through all the empty spaces and silences
of scripture
to know that Eve was smarter than Adam
(the wise serpent only wanted to break the best)
I want her to know the song of Sojourner Truth
because I am raising my daughter to be a feminist


I am raising my daughter to be powerful
before beautiful
she need not be identified only as beautiful
her beauty is evident
her power needs establishment
her name is her story:
Saskia -- protector of her people
Cordelia -- the faithful daughter of King Lear
she will lead other women
other men
to celebrate the power of all our power
I am raising my daughter to be powerful
I am raising my daughter to be a powerful feminist

I am raising my daughter to be the best

No comments:

Post a Comment