Sunday, December 18, 2005

I recently read an article about my show. I found it to be one of the most thoughtful and thought-provoking I have ever read about my show. There were two criticisms in the article that I found to be useful. The one I would like to highlight at this moment dealt with a section in my show where I give the audience three challenges: 1. Find themselves beautiful 2. Find others beautiful 3. Smile and say hello to at least 10 new people. The article thought my suggestions were too simple, especially considering the edginess surrounding the rest of my show. I agree. My three suggestions are nice as far as nice goes, but I could take it up another level -- especially for upper high school, college, and adult audiences. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this . . . I still like my third challenge, however, I want to make some amendments to the first two suggestions.

We (human beings) take for granted our lives and the business of living, but what happens if we are told when we are to die? What happens if our date with death is much sooner than we anticipated? What if we were given a year to live? 6 months? One month? What do we do? What do we complete? What do we start? If you, my friend, were given one month to live, what five things would you like to complete, start, or do before your time was up? Well, what are you waiting for? Make that list -- today is the first day of your last 30 days . . . or 31 days. So, for the next 30 days, I challenge you to live as if it is your last days. Not only am I challenging you, but I am challenging myself.

You don't have to share your list with anyone, but I will share mine with you.
1. Begin learning to speak Spanish
2. Do a photo shoot of my cousin Kimani and my friend Lori
3. Complete two chapters of my book
4. Organize my fun room (It's a train wreck!)
5. Show Tessin my complete love, though we may walk separate ways.

These are the five things on my list. I'm taking a deep breath. I realize that some of these may not be completed, but I will make every effort to tackle these goals. Let's begin, my friends. Today is December 18, 2005. I will let you know how it goes on January 18, 2006. Whew!

The second challenge to audience members is this: Think of one small thing you can do that can create a positive change for others in your school, workplace, or home.

This is what I've been thinking about these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment