Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Headline: Robertson Suggests the US Assassinate Chavez


You can't make this up! Pat Robertson, the founder of the Christian Coalition, influencer on thousands of Evangelical Christians, right-wing, conservative, God-fearing pundit -- has encouraged the US to assassinate Chavez, the Venezuelan President. Allow me to repeat: a presumed messenger of God and Christ is calling for the assassination of another individual. Since when has that become the Christian message. I do not speak these words as a secular individual criticizing what I do not understand. I speak from the perspective of a person who knows all too well the message of Christ, of one who spends time reflecting, meditating, and praying on those things that are spiritual. What is going on in the mainstream evangelical church? Many of these leaders, as well as their flock, scare me to no end. They are making moves politically that have become the antithesis of Biblical endorsements. They are influencing and pressurizing the political powers in hopes of creating a new world order -- and this, my friends, concerns me. I know the wielding power of this movement, the narcissism that is coursed like rabid blood in dying veins. And it's only going to get worse.


I pray for the love of God to invade all of us. I don't pray for war or violence or assassination or any of these political messages so desperately infiltrating our minds, our souls, our solar plexus'. We need to move away from this religiosity that is disguising itself as being from God; we need to find our spiritual selves and question everything -- authority, presumptions, and those insidious messages of "I know the TRUTH." It is messages like Robertson's that will set the atmosphere for discord, for disdain towards Americans, for more attacks. This atmosphere is becoming tenuous, and it is starting to reek of times that have passed.


In all fairness, I realize that Robertson has apologized for his comments, as did I when I was caught for burning down a park and shoplifting when I was younger. So we'll forgive him -- he is human. We'll just have to watch and listen very very CAREFULLY.

No comments:

Post a Comment