Monday, December 6, 2004

From a student at a local New Jersey school.



Mykee,

I've been meaning to write to you for a while. You came to my school a few months ago, and I just haven't found the time or energy to write. I'm not one who enjoys school assemblies. I usually feel the only good thing about them is we get out of class! I didn't know what to expect as I went into the auditorium. I was walking alone since I was coming from an honors art class, and I was the only freshman in it.



Then,when i got inside the auditorium, some guy started talking to me, saying hey, how's it going, just doing some small talk. He was a young, pretty cool looking guy, and I couldn't help but thinking, OK, here's the techie or some intern for this doctor guy. When the assembly started, I was shocked to learn the doctor was this guy I perceived to be a "techie"!! Whoops...my bad... I was amazed by the end of the assembly. I felt I could relate to all his characters somehow- either someone I know, a TV character, or even me. I went through so many emotions during the assembly. You'd captivated my attention, and touched my heart.



As a teen, there are so many pressures in life. Drugs, alcohol, boys.... even school. Especially school for me! Every single class of mine is honors, except Gym. I stress enough about school work and grades!! Then, when I joined a sports team, I just said fogedda bout it to my school work. I slacked more and more. Once a conscientious student, I didn't care anymore when I was failing tests. I just lost my zest for life cuz I was too dang tired to care!!! Too much pressure, too much work. I'd start snapping at my parents for no reason, saying hateful stuff I'd never in a million years mean. I just couldn't help but wonder how everybody would feel if I wasn't around anymore. Then, your assembly came. I don't know what happened, maybe I realized that others have it worse than me and my stupid life. I started caring again about my grades and life. I even made A-B honor role!! I still snap at my parents from time to time, and still get depressed, but I'm realizing life is meant to be lived. Why else would I be here? I'm going to try and make a difference in kids lives when I'm older, after college, just like you made in mine. I guess I just wanted to say thanks. I know many of my friends were touched by your assembly, just like I was.



Thanks a lot, cheers...



Response:



I'm always touched by the depths that my show touches in people. It often moves me. That's all I want. I just want people to care . . . more . . . than they did before coming into my show.

No comments:

Post a Comment